In the classroom, I was a proponent and champion of providing authentic learning experiences for my students through project-based learning. I felt compelled to address what I saw as the disconnect between what we teach in school and what actually happens in real life. I decided to leave my teaching role in 2019 and start a business that does just that.
Flying Start is a platform that connects Grade 6+ public school classrooms with businesses in order to provide real-life learning opportunities for the students, get much-needed supplies for the classroom, and help small businesses that may not be able to afford expensive professional tech services.
Here’s how it works: classrooms post skills they have and want to utilize for authentic purposes, companies post tasks/projects they need completed, and they connect via the online platform. Rather than an exchange of money, classrooms list items they need, and companies ‘pay’ for the service by donating to the cause.
For example, a class that is learning how to code might be able to connect with a business owner who needs a simple app. The classroom would get educational items in return (for example, donation towards a 3D printer).
Our vision is to:
- provide a platform for students to practice their tech skills to solve real issues;
- provide quality technology job experience for students;
- expose under-represented students to possible career paths in technology;
- provide a service to small business owners who may not have the money, time, or resources to complete tech tasks on own;
- bridge the gap between what is taught in school and real-life experience.
Real work, real life, real learning.
Welcome to Flying Start!
Founder and CEO, Flying Start
Meet the team
Founder & CEO
Karrin has a B.A. in French, a M.A. in Teaching, and over 10 years experience as a classroom teacher. She is an Apple Distinguished Educator (Class of 2017), an aspiring iOS app developer, an author, and an entrepreneur.